Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Kitchen

Here is some of the transformation/work in progress for the kitchen. This first picture is the way it looked when we first moved in. The washer and dryer in the kicthen, no water hook up for the refridgerator, drop ceiling with the old light and really closed off.



Phase two of the kitchen started to look like this. We moved the cabinets around and made plans to move the sink into an isle that would be parallel to the cabinets on the back wall. We still weren't in love with this idea and we would have had a very small island to fit in this space.


We then decided that we HATED that you walk into the kitchen right from the front door. We then had the idea to move the whole kitchen. So we moved the cabinets again and started opening up a new enterance to the kitchen.



As we removed the old cabinets I found this scrap of the original wall paper. It was very stylish in the 80's which makes me laugh now. I think I had something similar in my parents house growing up.


Once we opened the new entrance we had to move a bunch of electrical and then boarded up the old enterance. This was so nice to see closed off! I really did not like that if you looked through the front door of my house you could see most of the house.

 This is the view from the snob room.


 Next my husbands favorite part. Electrical! (I hope you caught onto my sarcasm there) He does a great job but does not enjoy this headache. We moved all the outlets that were on the wall, and had to run new plumbing. Luckily our house has a crawl space underneath which made it a lot easier to replumb. (Have I mentioned my husband can do anything?!) A special thanks to my husband's brother-in-law also for spending one of his days off helping my husband run a new line for our internet also. I am sure that is not how he wanted to spend his day off. And thank you to his wife for letting him help.



Next more dry wall. Seeing that I was 7-8 months pregnant during this project I have not been much help. The dry wall was about the only place I was useful. I have learned to mud and texture in my sleep.


Next, talk about blessings. A couple of days before we really started digging into the kitchen I had a friend stop by to visit. I started telling her about our plans for the kitchen and what we were going to do. She mentioned that her brother was doing some work to his house and would be getting rid of some cabinets and asked if we could use them. I wasn't sure what they would look like so I said sure thinking I was positive we could find a place for them somewhere. She brought them by the next day and they looked great. Especially compared to our 27+ year old small cabinets that I had poorly painted. Her brother had removed just some bottom cabinets, we were luckly and easily found some places that sold the matching cabinets and ordered new top cabinets. It has been GREAT to have the extra cabinet space. These have so much more room than the old cabinets we had planned to use and look so much better.



The wood behind the island and the counter tops are still from the old kitchen. We cut them down to use them until we can get new counter tops ordered and the rest of the island built. We still need to hang up the microwave but the kitchen is usable and I have space. So I am not complaining a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment